The remote console works as a "virtual terminal", almost like a computer monitor (screen) attached to a server which you can use to interact with your operating system along with your keyboard and mouse. Once your instance is delivered to you, you will probably use the console as your first interaction point. For example, you can use it to install (and/or configure) your preferred remote access method (such as SSH or RDP, which offers far more features than the remote console).
The remote console is also helpful when for any reason you are no longer capable of accessing the server through other methods.
Overview of the Console
Here's a quick overview of the screen and buttons on the console.
|Reboot||After pressing it, you will be asked to confirm your action, and if confirmed, your virtual server will reboot. This is a operational system reboot (also known as warm or soft reboot), meaning that the operational system will attempt a clean restart. However, if it doesn’t respond in 30 seconds, a cold reboot (alternatively known as hard reboot) will occur, which could be compared to turning the power off and on without warning your operational system.|
|Clipboard||After pressing it, you will be asked for an input (text). This input will be sent to the operationing system. It helps to avoid typing long and complex text, such as passwords or a long sentence.|
|CtrlAltDel||Pressing this button triggers the same behavior as pressing the keyboard keys CTRL + ALT + DEL simultaneously. In some operational systems, this may perform in a soft reboot. The result depends on your operational system.|
Accessing the VM Console
Perform the follwoing tasks to view/access the VM Console:
- Log in to the Leaseweb CloudStack dashboard using your username, password, and the domain name (This page will be re-directed from Customer Portal upon selecting Private cloud option).
- On the left panel of dashboard, click Instances tab.
The Instances page displays.
- Click the instance name for which you need to access the Console.
The Details tab displays.
- Click the View console icon in the Details section.
The Console view displays.
- Hit enter in the console window to activate the screen and enter credentials to gain access to the VM Console.